[virt-tools-list] Refreshing Storage Pool

Ritchie P. Fraser rpf at marinesoftware.co.uk
Mon Mar 10 15:33:34 UTC 2014

Hello,

I am having issues getting KVM / QEMU / libvirt refreshing one of my storage pools.

I have SAN storage volumes connected through multipath iscsi on the host in /dev/mapper - All GOOD so far

                $ ls -l /dev/mapper

                total 0
                crw------- 1 root root 10, 236 Feb 20 17:31 control
                lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       8 Mar 10 13:24 mpath-a -> ../dm-5
                lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       8 Mar 10 13:24 mpath-b -> ../dm-4
                lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       8 Mar 10 13:24 mpath-c -> ../dm-2
                lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       8 Mar 10 13:24 mpath-d -> ../dm-11

I list the storage pools on the KVM / QEMU / visrh host ...

                $ virsh pool-list

                Name                 State      Autostart
                archive              active     yes
                multipath_iscsi      active     yes

... and then list the volumes in the multipath_iscsi storage pool ...

                $ virsh vol-list multipath_iscsi

                Name                 Path
                dm-5                 /dev/mapper/mpath-a
                dm-4                 /dev/mapper/mpath-b
                dm-2                 /dev/mapper/mpath-c

I see thet my NEW SAN volume does not show up in the listed volumes, so I refresh the storage pool and re-list ...

                $ virsh pool-refresh multipath_iscsi
                $ virsh vol-list multipath_iscsi

                Name                 Path
                dm-5                 /dev/mapper/mpath-a
                dm-4                 /dev/mapper/mpath-b
                dm-2                 /dev/mapper/mpath-c

Uh Oh!, No new volume listed in the storage pool

Is there anything else I should be doing?

The host is seeing the additional multipath iscsi volume so, there is nothing wrong with the volume, iscsi, multipath setup... I just can 't get virsh to "add it to the storage pool"

Kind Regards,
Ritchie Fraser
Systems Administrator

T : +44 (0) 1304 840506
F : +44 (0) 1304 840075
W : http://www.marinesoftware.co.uk

Marine Software Limited
Planned Maintenance, Stock Control, Project (Refit) Management, Purchasing,
Safety and ISM Document Management systems for the Marine Industry since 1991.
Unless otherwise agreed expressly in writing by Marine Software Limited, This communication and attachments are to be treated as confidential and the information in it may not be used or disclosed except for the purpose for which it was sent. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication you should notify the sender immediately, then destroy it without copying, disclosing or otherwise using its contents. Marine Software Limited. Registered in England & Wales. No 2576494 Registered Office. 4 Ozengell Place, Eurokent Business Park, Ramsgate. Kent. United Kingdom. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Therefore, we do not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions that are present in this message, or any attachment, that have arisen as a result of e-mail transmission. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.