[virt-tools-list] "ERROR Format cannot be specified for unmanaged storage."

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Thu Mar 13 15:01:24 UTC 2014

On 03/13/2014 12:53 AM, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The following command gives me the error in the title. Does anybody
> know how to specify the file format? Thanks.
>
> sudo virt-install -n web_devel_qcow2_name -r 4096 --disk
> path=/tmp/web_devel_qcow2,bus=virtio,size=1,format=qcow2 -c
> ~/iso/ubuntu-13.10-server-amd64.iso --network bridge=br0,model=virtio
> --graphics vnc,listen=0.0.0.0 --noautoconsole -v
>
> https://www.suse.com/documentation/sles11/singlehtml/book_kvm/book_kvm.html#tip.libvirt.config.pci.virsh.managed
>
> Also, I found the following explanation on the above page. But I don't
> quite understand it. Does "managed" only applies to PCI devices (hence
> not disk)? Thanks.

No, managed in this case means that /tmp is not a libvirt storage pool, and
therefor we don't know how to create a qcow2 disk image (it's only supported
through libvirt's storage APIs).

The latest release of virt-install 1.0.0 will turn /tmp into a storage pool
automatically. To do it manually, you can do

virsh pool-define-as --name tmppool --type dir --target /tmp
virsh pool-start tmppool