[virt-tools-list] Dependency of virt-manager on Ubuntu 13.10

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Mar 13 17:36:57 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 11:27:56AM -0500, Peng Yu wrote:
> I finally figured out that I need the following packages installed to
> use virt-manager from the git repository. I hope that this is helpful
> to others who use Ubuntu.

virt-manager in Ubuntu appears to work OK for me (0.9.5-1ubuntu1.1).

> sudo apt-fast -y -q install libglib2.0-bin
> sudo apt-fast -y -q install intltool
> sudo apt-fast -q -y install python-gi
> sudo apt-fast -q -y install libvirt-glib-1.0-dev
> sudo apt-fast -y -q install libgtk-3-dev
> sudo apt-fast -y -q install python-ipaddr

A better idea is:

  $ sudo apt-get build-dep virt-manager

It works for me after following Cole's instructions:

  $ ./virt-install --version
  1.0.0

> > pengy at hydrogen:~/dvcs/virt-manager$ sudo     python setup.py install
> > running install
> > running build
> > Generating /home/pengy/dvcs/virt-manager/build/virt-manager
> > Generating /home/pengy/dvcs/virt-manager/build/virt-install
> > Generating /home/pengy/dvcs/virt-manager/build/virt-clone
> > Generating /home/pengy/dvcs/virt-manager/build/virt-image
> > Generating /home/pengy/dvcs/virt-manager/build/virt-convert
> > Generating /home/pengy/dvcs/virt-manager/build/virt-xml
> > Generating man/virt-xml.1
> > Generating man/virt-image.1
> > Generating man/virt-manager.1
> > Generating man/virt-clone.1
> > Generating man/virt-install.1
> > Generating man/virt-image.5
> > Generating man/virt-convert.1
> > running build_i18n
> > Writing po/POTFILES.in
> > intltool-update -p -g virt-manager
> > unable to execute intltool-update: No such file or directory
> > Removing po/POTFILES.in
> > error: po/POTFILES.in: No such file or directory

I suspect what has happened is you've got multiple conflicting
versions of the Python libraries installed all over the place.  That's
likely to give you random breakage.

Rich.