[virt-tools-list] Convenient command to rename a guest?

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Mar 13 19:25:31 UTC 2014

On 03/13/2014 12:35 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> http://blog.terminal.io/9-linux/10-rename-a-vm-using-virsh-libvirt.html
>
> I don't see a command to rename a vm. It would be convenient if there
> were such a command. Is there a technical reason prevent such a
> command be defined? Thanks.

The technical reason is that it is a LOT of work to rename a guest
(multiple files have to be renamed, and as the name of the guest is
leaked through to the qemu process, renaming an online guest becomes
even more problematic).  You are welcome to submit patches to implement
it, but so far, no one else has been willing to tackle it.