[virt-tools-list] How to resize a partition in a KVM image? (after the image is resized by "qemu-img resize")

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Sat May 3 13:42:38 UTC 2014

On 05/02/2014 11:10 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A KVM guest had the following root partition.
>
> Filesystem                    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/mapper/mintaka--vg-root  3.7G  3.3G  134M  97% /
>
> After the guest was shutdown, I run "qemu-img resize" to resize the
> image. And I got the following.

Rather than using low-level 'qemu-img resize', I highly suggest that you
use the high-level 'virt-resize' from libguestfs.  It does a LOT more of
the necessary steps through the entire stack all in one operation
(larger underlying device, updated partition table, resized LVM
partitions, resized filesystems within the partitions, ...).