[virt-tools-list] virt-tools and macvtap

John Smith lbalbalba at gmail.com
Sat May 3 18:21:45 UTC 2014

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 6:51 PM, Cole Robinson <crobinso at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 05/03/2014 09:25 AM, John Smith wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> Im currently looking at using virt-tools (virt-manager, virt-sh ) in
>> combination with macvtap and the kvm hypervisor. I havent found an
>> obvious way yet of telling the virt-tools to configure/use macvtpa
>> devices. Have I overlooked something obvious here ?
>>

> In any virt-manager version from the past 1.5 years:
>
> VM Details
> Select the NIC
> In the 'source' drop down, you should see macvtap options.
>
> - Cole

Ah. Thanks. Im very sorry, but im very new to virtualization on Linux.

Right now, ive done the 'all in one install' of ovirt on a single
fedora 19 machine. Any pointers to docs on what best to do next is
appreciated. Im currently trying to make sense of this:
http://www.ovirt.org/Quick_Start_Guide
So perhaps the macvtap question was not entirely the best place to
start here for me.
;)

Anyway, as far as I can tell, there seems to be an issue with the
detection of my wireless wifi network interface 'wlp2s0'. I can attach
the 'ovirtmgmt' network to my standard wired ethernet interface
'p2p2', but that device is not in use on the machine and it is
disconnected from the network.

Reading about linux virt and issues with bridging with wifi NIC's on
the web made me, perhaps incorrectly here, assume that a wifi nic
might be an issue, so thats where the question about macvtap came
from.

Manual setup of macvtap seems to work, as i can do this without issues
on a root prompt on the same machine:

ip link add link wlp2s0 name macvtap0 type macvtap
ip link set macvtap0 address 1a:46:0b:ca:bc:7b up
ip link show macvtap0

But the wifi interface 'wlp2s0' does not seem to show up in the ovirt
web gui interface.

Im sorry if I sound confusing here, but that may be just because im
really still confused about ovirt.
;)

So any pointers on what to read or do is appreciated,

Regards,

John SMith.