[virt-tools-list] virt-manager only adecuate for IPv4 networks?

Hugo Osvaldo Barrera hugo at barrera.io
Fri Oct 3 09:28:44 UTC 2014

I've been trying to set up a simple VM with network (Internet) connectivity on
my laptop.

I've come across series of issues, after which I'm starting to believe that
virt-manager is oriented towards IPv4-only networks, since non of it's options
work with IPv6: NAT has (luckily/finally) obsoleted by IPv6 and bridging does
not work on wireless networks.

I've seen some guides here and there were users configured their machines as
routers, with radvd, manual routing, etc. That's a bit of a pain because:

 * It requires a not-so-short series of steps which I must redo every time I
   connect to a different network (since I'll have different IP addresses,
   different routes, etc).
 * The whole point of virt-manager is to make this "user friendly", and not so
   complicated.

Am I missing something? Are there any plans to address this in future? Is there
something I can do to work around this?

Most of the networks I move around in are IPv6-only, though a few are IPv4-only
(I've come across NO dual-stacked networks), so this is sort of killing my
capacity to install/run VMs properly. :-(

Cheers,

--
Hugo Osvaldo Barrera