[virt-tools-list] virt-manager only adecuate for IPv4 networks?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Oct 3 09:39:22 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 03, 2014 at 06:28:44AM -0300, Hugo Osvaldo Barrera wrote:
> I've been trying to set up a simple VM with network (Internet) connectivity on
> my laptop.
>
> I've come across series of issues, after which I'm starting to believe that
> virt-manager is oriented towards IPv4-only networks, since non of it's options
> work with IPv6: NAT has (luckily/finally) obsoleted by IPv6 and bridging does
> not work on wireless networks.
>
> I've seen some guides here and there were users configured their machines as
> routers, with radvd, manual routing, etc. That's a bit of a pain because:
>
>  * It requires a not-so-short series of steps which I must redo every time I
>    connect to a different network (since I'll have different IP addresses,
>    different routes, etc).
>  * The whole point of virt-manager is to make this "user friendly", and not so
>    complicated.
>
> Am I missing something? Are there any plans to address this in future? Is there
> something I can do to work around this?

Given the lack of NAT for IPv6 what behaviour would you suggest
virt manager attempt to do for IPv6 ?  If there are suggestions
we're listening, but I've not heard any satisfactory suggestions
for a "just works" setup with IPv6 that's on a par with what we
are able todo with IPv4 NAT.

Regards,
Daniel