[virt-tools-list] Could a KVM guest OS fully exploit 64 cores and 2T RAM with reasonable overhead?

Allen Qiu my1stbox at 163.com
Thu Oct 16 14:38:13 UTC 2014

Dear All,
My physical machine has 8 Xeon E7-8837 and 2T RAM (8 NUMA nodes).
If it is possible, how much overhead will there be? and what kind of configurations should I bear in mind while setting up the VM through virt-manager of RHEL6, such as vCPU pinning and NUMA boundaries concerning?
Moreover, should I treat virtual Linux and virtual Windows 7 Ultimate differently when configuring the VM?
Do you have any recommendation about benchmark tools that I can use to measure the performance of the guest Linux and Windows respectively with respect to that of the host Linux OS?
Regards,
Allen

PS:It will be very appreciated if you can provide some configuration details in XML format.

2014-10-16

Allen Qiu