[virt-tools-list] mount folder on host OS so guest OS can see it

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Apr 13 16:38:25 UTC 2015

On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 09:51:32PM +0100, Paul Sutton wrote:
> I have tried to google this and am getting nowhere
>
> I am struggling to do the following
>
> I have Linux mint 17.1 as my Host OS
> I have TORIOS (another linux based OS) as my guest in a virtual machine
>
> All I want to do is copy files to / from the guest OS, such as screen
> shots taken inside the guest oS with the built in screen shot
> (basically the window of the application I want)
>
> Networking is set up and seems to be working fine
>
> There IS a shared folder on the host OS,  I am sure this is possible I
> just can't find the instructions I had before to do it
>
> I think before it wa a case of mounting the folder that is on the host
> OS so the guest OS can see it.
>
> Can anyone help please

The proper way to do it is to set up something like NFS.
With NFSv4 it's not as painful as it used to be, primarily
because you only need to open up a single port on the NFS
server (port 2049).

In the case where you *only* want to copy files from the guest
to the host however, you can do it using (on the host):

  # virt-copy-out -d GuestName /path/to/guest/file /tmp/file

Rich.