[virt-tools-list] Adding custom device to virt-manager

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Sun Aug 9 16:23:15 UTC 2015

On 08/07/2015 11:51 AM, Anish Mathew wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am adding a custom PCI device to virt-manager. I have edited
> virt-manager source (addhardware.py ,__init__.py ,addhardware.ui, device.py)
> so the custom device will appear in "Add Hardware" window of virt-manager.
> Now it looks like I have to edit libvirt qemu capabilities
> (qemu_capabilities.c libvirt.c)
> to support the device. Is this the right procedure for adding custom devices?
>
> I was expecting to edit an XML file or other config file rather than source code.
> Is there any plan to change this procedure for adding custom devices?

What is the device you are trying to add?

If you are just trying to attach a device to a libvirt VM, use 'sudo virsh
edit $vmname' and add your XML

But if you are trying to extend virt-manager to have UI support for a device
type that it does not already support, you will need to edit code like you say.

What device are you trying to add?