[virt-tools-list] vm shutoff soon after boot

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Fri Feb 6 16:12:39 UTC 2015

On Fri, Feb 06, 2015 at 09:16:23AM -0500, Wayne Mills wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm using virt-manager and xen hypervisor to create a fullvirt VM using
>Ubuntu 14.04 desktop ISO.  The install was successful, then during restart
>the boot screen printed a few "OK" boot checklist messages, then appeared
>to just sit there forever.
>
>I remembered that the ISO was probably still mounted, so to eliminate that
>as the issue, I changed the boot order to put Hard Drive first.  I now get
>a grub boot screen and choose Ubuntu.  The screen goes blank, then briefly
>displays some boot messages, the last being "Booting from Hard Disk".  Then
>the console displays two grey message screens, in sequence:
>
>   - Error: viewer connection to hypervisor host got refused or
>   disconnected!
>   - Guest not running
>
>Sure enough, the virt-manager console shows the VM as "shutoff".
>
>I'm new to virt-manager and VM creating in general, so would appreciate
>advice on how to begin debugging this.  I did some googling and found a few
>virt-manager threads, but nothing quite matched.

Have a look in /var/log/libvirt/qemu/<domain_name>.log to see the
output hopefully containing last error message.  If using something
else than qemu, adapt the path appropriately.

To describe some details, the VM process probably died, so usual
troubleshooting stuff applies.  Check dmesg whether it was killed and
so on.