[virt-tools-list] Connecting to a physical drive

Blake McBride blake1024 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 14:25:39 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 10:52 PM, Jefferson Ogata - NOAA Federal <
jefferson.ogata at noaa.gov> wrote:

> On 2015-01-03 04:06, Blake McBride wrote:
>
>> After hours of updates and installs, the VM wouldn't boot anymore.  After
>> two 12+ hour days, I have given up.  Today I installed VirtualBox and tried
>> it there.  Everything installed and ran perfectly without a single
>> problem.  Was able to use the raw drive in minutes.  Never a boot problem.
>> Install went very fast.
>>
>> Being a long-time user of KVM, my takeaway is that KVM works well with
>> Linux.  I seem to have pretty good luck with 32 bit Windows too.  64 bit
>> Windows support is not ready for prime time.
>>

> I have no trouble running 64-bit Windows on KVM. Do it all the time with
> many different Windows variants. I suspect your issue has to do with some
> other process messing with the label on the disk you are trying to use.
> Another possibility is that there is actually a defect on that disk. Have
> you run a self-test?

I suspect something different.  I am using a vanilla LinuxMint install.
There is no other process accessing an unformatted, unmounted second
drive.  There is no defect in the disk because VirtualBox has utterly no
problems.

I suspect the problem is this:  this box is a brand-spanking new box with
all the latest technology (Dell M6800) with all the highest speed parts.
My guess is that the new hardware is slightly ahead of KVM testing.

Blake