[virt-tools-list] Error when emulating SandyBridge on i3-2310M host

Gizmo Chicken gizmochicken at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 22:11:33 UTC 2015

I'm not sure if this is a virt-tools issue or a QEMU issue, but...

I hope to emulate a SandyBridge CPU on a host that has an Intel Core
i3-2310M CPU.  However, whenever I attempt to create such guest VM (whether
a Windows guest or Linux guest) with an emulated SandyBridge CPU using
virt-manager, I get the following error:  "Error starting domain:
unsupported configuration: guest and host CPU are not compatible: Host CPU
does not provide required features: aes"  (Details below.)

The i3-2310M CPU doesn't support AES (see link), and so I'm guessing that's
the problem.  However, I can emulate a Nehalem CPU on my i3-2310M host
without any issues, which leads me to wonder:  Why would aes be required
for emulating a SandyBridge on an i3-2310M, but not required for emulating
a Nehalem on an i3-2310M.

Does this requirement (aes for emulating SandyBridge) originate from
virt-tools, QEMU or elsewhere?  And whatever the origin, is there any
workaround, short of buying a new laptop?

Thanks for any input!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here a few more details:

Host CPU:  Intel Core i3-2310M
http://ark.intel.com/products/52220/Intel-Core-i3-2310M-Processor-3M-Cache-2_10-GHz

Host OS:  Ubuntu 14.04
Libvirt: 1.2.8  (from ppa:jacob/virtualisation)
QEMU: 2.1.2  (from ppa:jacob/virtualisation)
Virt-Manager: 1.1.0  (from ppa:jacob/virtualisation)
SeaBIOS:  1.7.5  (from ppa:jacob/virtualisation)

Error Details:

Error starting domain: unsupported configuration: guest and host CPU are
not compatible: Host CPU does not provide required features: aes

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 89, in
cb_wrapper
    callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 125, in tmpcb
    callback(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/domain.py", line 1360, in
startup
    self._backend.create()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/libvirt.py", line 963, in create
    if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainCreate() failed', dom=self)
libvirtError: unsupported configuration: guest and host CPU are not
compatible: Host CPU does not provide required features: aes