[virt-tools-list] Supporting remote connections to QEMU session mode

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Jul 13 17:48:31 UTC 2015

On 07/03/2015 12:01 AM, sbaugh at catern.com wrote:

> (please keep me CC'd, I'm not subscribed to this list)

It's list policy to reply-to-all, for just this reason.

> Hi,
>
> Has there been any thought given to supporting remote connections to
> QEMU session instances in virt-manager?
> (i.e. qemu+ssh://hostname/session?socket=path) Manually hacking in the
> URI with dconf seems to mostly work, but (for example) I quickly
> encountered a bug when creating a VM where virt-manager assumed the only
> usable storage pool was my *local* homedir instead of the remote
> homedir.

Libvirt does not (yet) allow remote connections to qemu://host/session.
 You'd first have to figure out how to patch libvirt to allow remote
session connections; part of the problem is that with qemu:///system,
there is a daemon running that is always listening for remote
connections, but with qemu:///session, since libvirtd is only
auto-started as needed, there is no easy way to guarantee that the
remote machine is running a libvirtd process as the correct user.

> virsh and other tools support these connections just fine.

No, virsh does NOT support remote session connections, at least not
intentionally.  If it works for you, it is a pure accident.