[virt-tools-list] virt-manager vnc blank console

Fabio Coatti fabio.coatti at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 12:13:58 UTC 2015

Hi all,
I'm facing a long-standing issue that I wasn't able to debug, whatever forum or log I tried to
read, so I'm asking here for some help.

Short description:
when I use virt-manager to connect to a remote kvm host (qemu+ssh), all works just fine
except the console screen of a vm, that is always black. This happens with different
versions of libvirt/kvm/virt-manager.

More symptoms:
- the vnc screen  when it opens up, shows for few seconds scrolling controls, but then
only a black window
- using different clients the behavior is quite different. Basically, connecting with standard
ubuntu/debian/rh client (from 0.9 to 1.2) works
- on faulty client, same client version(s), so from 0.9 to 1.2) the vnc screen is blank.
- not working clients are compiled from source (gentoo based)
- vnc by itself otherwise works (creating a tunnel and connecting to virtual machine vnc
port)

Basically what it would be useful for me is some hint about how to debug this issue. I don't
know if this can be related to some lib used by virt-manager, tunnel issue or whatever. Of
course, if someone has already seen this issue and solved it it would be great, but I will
be more than happy with suggestions on how to debug this issue.

Of course I can provide more information.

Many thanks in advance.

--
Fabio