[virt-tools-list] Explain the best way to use a 1 TB hd with 6 VMs

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Mar 25 21:53:11 UTC 2015

On 03/25/2015 03:40 PM, Stephen Drotar wrote:
> Thank you Eric,

[please don't top-post on technical lists.  Also, please consider
teaching your mailer to wrap long lines]

> Very informative,  If I add 1 Storage Pool on 1TB of data I can only use that Pool for the volumes.  What about Multiple Pools to keep only 2 volumes per pool? Is this achieved by creating what {TYPE} of pool? Not sure about that.

Why do you feel you need to restrict your pools to 2 volumes per pool?
There is no strong association between domains and the pool(s) that it
is allowed to use, and creating multiple pools (one per guest) does not
make your guests any more secure than just having one pool for all
guests.  As I said earlier, you don't even need pools to use libvirt
locally; pools are merely a convenience for remote management of storage
solutions on a different host than where you are running the client.

But if you insist, then filesystem pools do what you want.  If you have
the file system layout:

/var/lib/libvirt/images/dir1/vol1
/var/lib/libvirt/images/dir2/vol2

then you can create separate pools for /var/lib/libvirt/images/dir1 and
for /var/lib/libvirt/images/dir2.  Unless you also use mount points to
direct those two directories to different partitions, then both pools
will see the same amount of free space, but you can now sort your
volumes by pool as you see fit.

(I still think that multiple pools is overkill, and that you are
probably better off not worrying about pools until you are more familiar
with other aspects of libvirt usage)