[virt-tools-list] virt-manager default storage values customization

Chen, Hanxiao chenhanxiao at cn.fujitsu.com
Mon Mar 30 07:06:23 UTC 2015

Hi, Evanghelos

From: virt-tools-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:virt-tools-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Evanghelos Papaioannu
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2015 2:14 PM
To: virt-tools-list at redhat.com
Subject: [virt-tools-list] virt-manager default storage values customization

Hi everybody,
is it possible to configure virt-manager (0.9.5-1) so that when an operator adds storage:
* add hardware
* storage
the default value for "Cache mode" is "none"?

Please use upstream virt-manager J

At the beginning I thought there were a default config file to modify, but after spending several time researching I came to the conclusion that the only way is to modify the code of virt-manager.

We had a edit->preference (virtManager/preferences.py) to do such kind of job.

Unfortunately I'm new to python.
I think some modification have to be made in files
* addhardware.py (line 632)
* createvol.py
But I have no idea how to proceed ...

Do you have any advice?

Thank you very much for your support.
Evan

See build_disk_cache_combo
in virtManager/addhardware.py:

_iter = model.insert(0, [None, "default"])

If you really want to change the cache mode of lots of storage,
*virsh edit* may be a better choice than “Add Hardware-> Storage”

If you want really want to do that, you need to

1)       change ui

2)       change virtManager/addhardware.py, virtManager/preferences.py etc.

I wonder whether it worth to do this.

Regards,
- Chen