[virt-tools-list] virt-manager's CPU load significant

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Wed May 20 18:43:34 UTC 2015

On 05/19/2015 11:50 PM, Marko Dimjašević wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I've been using virt-manager for a while and I've noticed it has a
> significant CPU load. In particular, I see it's pretty much all the time
> using one CPU core at 100%. Is that expected?
>
> All I have is a QEMU connection to a remote server where I have about 5
> VMs running.
>
> My laptop where I run virt-manager runs Debian Jessie 8, and that's the
> case for the server.
>
> virt-manager 1.0.1
> libvirt 1.2.9
>
> These are standard installations from Debian's main repository.

100% sounds extreme, might be worth checking virt-manager --debug to see if
it's spamming the logs about something.

But virt-manager can be a CPU hog depending on a few factors:

- Whether the connection supports async events or not. Without it,
virt-manager polls the object lists at regular intervals.
- How much stats polling it is doing, can be configured in Preferences dialog
- How often it is polling, can be configured in the preferences dialog

There's also been a lot of improvements in this area since 1.0.1