[virt-tools-list] [libvirt-users] Telling virt-manager to re-read ~/.gconf in RHEL 6

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Tue Nov 10 07:10:43 UTC 2015

[adding virt-tools-list to Cc]

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 01:00:01AM -0500, Digimer wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>  I've written a tool that configured Virtual Machine Manager, but I've
>got a condition that I am now sure how to handle...
>
>  If the user isn't logged in and I configure their
>~/.gconf/apps/virt-manager/*, and then they log in, everything works
>great. However, if they've already logged in and there was no prior
>virt-manager configuration, the custom config is overwritten and lost
>when the user logs out.
>
>  Similarly, if VMM is closed, I write the config and then they open VMM
>(again, having logged into gnome where there was no
>~/.gconf/apps/virt-manager), it acts like there is no configuration (it
>tries to auto-connect to localhost and doesn't show the remote machines).

I have no idea how these gconf things work.  But I remember there were
two pieces of configuration that needed to be changed, I've done that
through some gconftool GUI, though.  Have you tried using gconftool-2
CLI (or anythign similar) for setting up the configuration instead of
overwriting the config files?  It looks like there needs to be
something else done in order for the config to be read and not
overridden by virt-manager, but it doesn't sound like virt-manager
specific thing, but more like as Gtk or GConf specific.