[virt-tools-list] Questions about cdrom installation in virt-manager

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Wed Nov 11 20:05:48 UTC 2015

On 11/11/2015 12:45 AM, Kevin Zhao wrote:
> Hi Cole & all,
>       There is a question just confusing me.
>       When I use virt-install , set the  --location parameter like this :
> --location /tmp/**.iso, virt-install can search the iso and get the tree.info
> , kernel.img and initrd.img. But when I replace the parameter "--location "
> with the "--cdrom", it will not be able to search the iso for kernel.img and
> initrd.img ,I need to specify the kernel and initrd(Maybe inn the arch ppc64le
> and s390x).
>        But when I use virt-manager, choose the cdrom I can not get the
> functions just like "--location". So does the virt-manager support the
> functions just like "--location" do? I see that by using network installation
> , virt-manager will search for tree.info, how to use  it  to get a local iso
> treeinfo?
>        My descriptions may not be very clear . So feel free to let me know if
> you have any question.

The difference between --location $ISO and --cdrom $ISO are kinda subtle:

--cdrom $ISO just passes the $ISO as a cdrom device to the guest

--location $ISO tries to mount the $ISO locally, and treat that local path
like a --location $URL install, pulling out the kernel/initrd. This allows
passing in custom kernel args, but is kinda limited since you need root access
to mount the iso

You can actually trigger this with virt-manager by entering a local ISO path
into the install URL field