[virt-tools-list] [libvirt-users] Telling virt-manager to re-read ~/.gconf in RHEL 6

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Mon Nov 16 08:39:41 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 08:10:43AM +0100, Martin Kletzander wrote:
> [adding virt-tools-list to Cc]
>
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 01:00:01AM -0500, Digimer wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> > I've written a tool that configured Virtual Machine Manager, but I've
> >got a condition that I am now sure how to handle...
> >
> > If the user isn't logged in and I configure their
> >~/.gconf/apps/virt-manager/*, and then they log in, everything works
> >great. However, if they've already logged in and there was no prior
> >virt-manager configuration, the custom config is overwritten and lost
> >when the user logs out.
> >
> > Similarly, if VMM is closed, I write the config and then they open VMM
> >(again, having logged into gnome where there was no
> >~/.gconf/apps/virt-manager), it acts like there is no configuration (it
> >tries to auto-connect to localhost and doesn't show the remote machines).
> >

> I have no idea how these gconf things work.  But I remember there were
> two pieces of configuration that needed to be changed, I've done that
> through some gconftool GUI, though.  Have you tried using gconftool-2
> CLI (or anythign similar) for setting up the configuration instead of
> overwriting the config files?  It looks like there needs to be
> something else done in order for the config to be read and not
> overridden by virt-manager, but it doesn't sound like virt-manager
> specific thing, but more like as Gtk or GConf specific.

~/.gconf is managed by a daemon which sends config change
notifications/... to other processes using GConf when needed, and I
highly doubt manual edition of ~/.gconf is supported. So I second Martin
that you should first try using gconftool-2 and see if you can still
reproduce.

GConf has been obsoleted by gsettings/dconf years ago, but that's a
different matter ;)

Christophe