[virt-tools-list] Curious Connectivity Issue

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Tue Nov 17 19:39:45 UTC 2015

On 11/17/2015 07:11 AM, Gustave Stresen-Reuter wrote:
> Here's the output of that command and to be clear, the guest loses
> connectivity on that interface. The host is still able to connect (but over
> the enp5s0 interface).
>
> $ sudo virsh domif-setlink Smoothie --interface '52:54:00:3B:22:31' --state down
> Device updated successfully
>
> $ sudo virsh domif-setlink Smoothie --interface '52:54:00:3B:22:31' --state up
> Device updated successfully
>
> Nevertheless, connectivity is not reestablished on the guest and the Network
> settings panel still does not show the ON/OFF button nor the Options button.
>
> I shut down the guest. I would expect the interfaces to disappear from the
> host Network Settings control panel, but they don't (well, the Macvtap
> interfaces don't). So, just for kicks, with the guest shut down, I executed
> the 'up' command again. It replied "Device updated successfully" but again,
> the Network Settings control panel still doesn't show the on off button, nor
> an IPV6 address. In other words, unchanged.
>
> I restarted the guest (Smoothie) and upon doing so, the macvtap0 interface
> came back up (the Network Settings control panel in the host shows the ON/OFF
> button and the Options button is also visible). And as one would expect,
> connectivity is restored.
>
> So, I did it all again, but this time, I didn't execute the 'up' command.
> Rather, I just shut the guest down and started it up again. This time, the
> Network Settings control panel on the host crashed (disappeared) when I
> unplugged the ethernet cable. Other than that, everything was the same
> (connectivity was restored).
>
> My question is, is this a CentOS 7 issue or a virt issue? I'm beginning to
> suspect the former.

I'm guessing it's centos related as well, maybe NetworkManager. On Fedora 23 I
just tried starting a VM with macvtap, disconnecting my network, reconnecting,
and the VM resumed connectivity. Also in the gnome-shell network panel, it
doesn't show me any macvtap interfaces like you are seeing.

Might be worth looking into disabling NetworkManager and trying the manual
'network' service, see if that helps.

> And before I go, where can I find a complete list of virsh commands (so I
> don't have to bother others for the info)?

'virsh help' will list them.

- Cole