[virt-tools-list] virt-manager only sees domains created by 'root'

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Fri Sep 4 18:22:28 UTC 2015

On 09/04/2015 01:37 PM, Clair Grant - VSI wrote:
> I’m running CentOS-7/kvm and creating domains from the root account as well as
> others. I connect to the vncserver on the host from a MAC using chicken.
> Everything seems to be working as expected except that virt-manager only sees
> the domains created from the root account. I’m new to this environment so I
> assume I’m missing something simple but I have not found anything in the
> documentation. Any help is appreciated.

virt-manager connects to qemu:///system by default, which uses the system
instance of libvirtd, started by systemd

If you create VMs as a regular user using other tools, it will likely default
to qemu:///session, which autolaunches a libvirtd instance as your regular
user. These are different namespaces so the VMs will never show up together in
virt-manager.

If you want to see your user created VMs in virt-manager, run it as that user
like: virt-manager --connect qemu:///session