[virt-tools-list] Running Solaris 10 (x86) as guest network issue

jan.public at famvlug.nl jan.public at famvlug.nl
Wed Sep 9 08:48:19 UTC 2015

Hello all,

Did anyone manage to get a Solaris 10 guest with network working with
virt-manager?
Oracle Solaris 10 download available at:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris10/downloads/index.html

I managed to install Solaris 10, but still have network issues. When I
ping the Solaris 10 guest when it is started from the host, I do get some
replies, but at the moment that the guest enters into graphical mode, no
replies are received any more.

There are some hints that I should disable x2apic. I tried to do so
without success. I'm not sure whether I did this in the correct way using
virt-manager. Detailed instructions are welcome.

Special setup notes: I had to select Cirrus for display hardware because
other display hardware had issues.
For network hardware: e1000 and rtl8139 are both recognized during
installation, but not working well.

During boot of the Solaris 10 guest I several times this warning is
displayed:
No SOF interrupts have been received, this USB UHCI host controller is
unusable.

This is a list of related issues that found:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/638955
https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/1395217
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/threads/15850-Solaris-10-Guest-no-network-traffic-after-upgrade-to-proxmox-3-1
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Solaris_Guests
http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2013-February/012319.html

I'm using Fedora 22 with these software versions:
virt-manager:  1.2.1
qemu: 2.3.1

If you have any hints, suggestions, experience or even detailed
instruction related to solving this issue, could you please let me know?

Thanks,
Jan.