[virt-tools-list] No UEFI option in virt-manager 1.3

Anders Pitman tapitman11 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 00:06:56 UTC 2016

Thanks for the responses, especially for your input Bryan.

I have an update on this as of today. I finally got around to working on
this again, and decided I really wanted a rolling distro to help avoid host
reinstalls as much as possible, so I went with Arch. So far it's been a
better experience for me than Ubuntu 16.04.

So I got everything set up, but using virt-manager 1.3.2 remotely from my
Ubuntu 14.04 laptop I still didn't see any Firmware dropdown under
Overview. I decided to try virt-manager 1.2 just to see if there was any
difference. It was still the same problem, however I did notice something
interesting: all of my remote connections were automatically available to
my freshly extracted virt-manager 1.2. This made me think maybe
virt-manager had some global state somewhere which was being shared across
versions. So I thought maybe this global state had locked virt-manager into
using an older version of the remote libvirtd protocol. So I decided to try
1.3 from a completely different machine. I simply spun up an Ubuntu 16.04
VM for the purpose and installed virt-manager 1.3 from the official repos.
Sure enough after connecting virt-manager to the host (virtception!) there
was now a Firmware dropdown and I could select the OVMF file, which worked
great. This has lead me to a couple new questions:

1) Is my intuition about global state affecting the features of
virt-manager correct? If so, where are these files located? The other
thought I had is that maybe it has to do with the libvirt-python version,
but I updated to 2.1 from PyPi and it still didn't work.

2) There don't seem to be warnings when using version mismatches between
virt-manager and libvirtd that affect the features available. This may be a
naive question, but what is the reason virt-manager wasn't implemented as a
host daemon that provides a web interface, so the UI is also determined by
the host libvirt stack, not what the remote client happens to be using?

Thanks,
//anders