[virt-tools-list] virt-install looking for i386 installer but should be looking for amd64 installer

Dave Hein dhein at acm.org
Sat Aug 20 19:02:19 UTC 2016

That worked.

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 7:05 PM, Cole Robinson <crobinso at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 08/10/2016 07:14 PM, Dave Hein wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 9:36 PM, Dave Hein <dhein at acm.org
> > <mailto:dhein at acm.org>> wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> >     I'll try looking at differences in the virt-install code between
> older
> >     versions and 1.3.2, and see why the newer version is handling ISOs
> >     differently.
> >

> > I believe that the virt-inst that shipped with Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty)
> predates
> > the merger of the python-virtinst source into the virt-manager GitHub
> repo.
> >

> Confirmed, and I've fixed it upstream now:
>
> commit 3f15a489cda87f8028828d567848193dd2640a43
> Author: Cole Robinson <crobinso at redhat.com>
> Date:   Tue Aug 16 19:37:02 2016 -0400
>
>     urlfetcher: Fix ubuntu --location $iso arch detection
>

> The logic changed for scraping the arch out of the URL string, I revived
> some
> of the old way of doing it to fix things.
>
> - Cole

With that change, virt-install finds the installer on the ISO and I'm able
to successfully create Ubuntu Server VMs from the command line using
--location and --options together.

THANK YOU!

The Ubuntu install does seem to be going out on the network to find
packages that are already on the ISO, but I think it also does that if I do
a physical install (with the ISO on a bootable USB). I don't know enough
about the Linux/Ubuntu install to know if that is normal or not.

--
Dave Hein