[virt-tools-list] virt-install copies part of a pool's definition into a domain's disk definition - should it copy more or less?

Peter Crowther peter.crowther at melandra.com
Thu Jan 7 12:04:29 UTC 2016

I'm trying to use virt-install to create a domain where the disks are on a
Ceph storage pool.  I've created a libvirt pool as follows:

ID=kvm
POOL=vmlive
SECRET_UUID=036f507c-d66c-4fa6-a624-6764e6c77996

POOL_DEFINITION_FILE=~/pool-$POOL.xml
cat > $POOL_DEFINITION_FILE << EOF
<pool type="rbd">
  <name>$POOL</name>
  <source>
    <name>$POOL</name>
    <host name="test1" port="6789" />
    <host name="test2" port="6789" />
    <auth username='$ID' type='ceph'>
      <secret uuid='$SECRET_UUID'/>
    </auth>
  </source>
</pool>
EOF
virsh pool-define $POOL_DEFINITION_FILE
rm -f $POOL_DEFINITION_FILE
virsh pool-autostart $POOL
virsh pool-start $POOL

I'm then using virt-install to try to create a domain:

NAME=testguest
DEV=vda
SIZE=8G
IMAGE=CentOS-7-x86_64-Minimal-1503-01.iso
VCPUS=1
RAM=512
MACLAST_HEX=10
IPLAST_DECIMAL=16

FILE=$NAME-$DEV
qemu-img create -f rbd rbd:$POOL/$FILE $SIZE
sudo virt-install \
--connect qemu:///system \
--virt-type kvm \
--name $NAME \
--ram $RAM \
--vcpus=$VCPUS \
--disk vol=$POOL/$FILE \
--location /var/lib/libvirt/images/$IMAGE \
--vnc \
--noautoconsole \
--os-type linux \
--os-variant rhel7 \
--network=bridge:virbr0,model=virtio,mac=52:54:00:00:00:$MACLAST_HEX \
--autostart

If I run the above with --print-xml, the generated XML includes the
following definition for the disk:

    <disk type="network" device="disk">
      <driver name="qemu"/>
      <source protocol="rbd" name="vmlive/testguest-vda">
        <host name="test1" port="6789"/>
      </source>
      <target dev="vda" bus="virtio"/>
    </disk>

This has parsed enough of the pool definition to replace the libvirt pool
with much of its definition, but has excluded the vital <auth> part.

Should virt-install include more of the pool's data here, or less?  I'd
naively suggest less and give the user as much freedom as possible to
change the pool definition in the future.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and is there a known fix for my
use case?  I've not found one after reasonably extensive searching, but my
Google-fu isn't always perfect.

If you're reading this and there is a known fix, can you point me to it?

Thanks!

- Peter
--
Peter Crowther, Director, Melandra Limited