[virt-tools-list] virt-what: config.guess needs updating to support ppc64le

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri Jan 22 17:04:59 UTC 2016

> On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 03:32:56PM +0000, Gyurgyik, Matthew S. wrote:
>> virt-what is using an old version of config.guess, which means it can not properly detect ppc64le.
>>
>> Using the config.guess from http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=config.git;a=blob_plain;f=config.guess;hb=HEAD, platform is successfully guessed.
>>
>> See below output for an example. Note, config.guess.bak is the version that ships with virt-what-1.15.
>
> Is there some official way to update config.guess?  I just ran both
> `autoreconf' and `autoconf' in the build directory, and config.guess
> is still stuck on the old version.

I find the easiest way is to just copy them from an up-to-date
gnulib.git or config.git repo (gnulib mirrors the upstream repo).

I've been meaning to get around to releasing autoconf 2.70; that release
will include up-to-date config.guess at the time of release, but it will
once again go stale unless someone contributes a patch to autoconf to
(optionally) grab the latest-and-greatest from the internet instead of
always living with the version bundled in the tarball.