[virt-tools-list] VMWare guestId to libvirt os-variant

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Mon Jan 25 15:19:11 UTC 2016

On 01/23/2016 10:36 AM, mkov wrote:
> Hello,
> Please, help me to figure out how to convert VMWare guestId to libvirt
> os-variant.
> For example,
>
> guestosid:
> centos64Guest
> centosGuest
>
> os-variant:
> centos6.0
> centos6.1
> centos6.2
> centos6.3
> centos6.4
> centos6.5
> centos7.0

There isn't any easy way to convert. We could track it in libosinfo but the
vmware bits are quite fine grained. I'm not sure what configuration bits
vmware will change depending on the guestosid, we would need to figure that
out first to know what it properly maps to for libosinfo/virt-install defaults.

> The task is to start VM on KVM from disk image fom VMWare. But,
> What is the best to set up as --os-variant in virt-install?
>
> I will use --import with virt-install. Are these options using together
> (--os-variant and --import)?

Yes they work fine.

> What exactly do --os-variant, how to test it?

--os-variant is used to decide what configuration defaults we will set for the
VM. The classic example is using virtio disk/net for OS that support it
(basically all centos 6+ in this case).

If you want to test it, use the --print-xml option to see how the defaults
change with and without --os-variant