[virt-tools-list] VMWare guestId to libvirt os-variant

MK KM webkvm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 10:42:09 UTC 2016

Cole, thank you for answers!
Could you please tell about:

> On 01/23/2016 10:36 AM, mkov wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Please, help me to figure out how to convert VMWare guestId to libvirt
> > os-variant.
> > For example,
> >
> > guestosid:
> > centos64Guest
> > centosGuest
> >
> > os-variant:
> > centos6.0
> > centos6.1
> > centos6.2
> > centos6.3
> > centos6.4
> > centos6.5
> > centos7.0
> >

> There isn't any easy way to convert. We could track it in libosinfo but the
> vmware bits are quite fine grained. I'm not sure what configuration bits
> vmware will change depending on the guestosid, we would need to figure that
> out first to know what it properly maps to for libosinfo/virt-install
> defaults.

- Can we use name of OS in os-variant without minor version, like just
centos6, centos7, rhel7? Output of command "osinfo-query os" has only exact
version of OS, but I met examples with OS just with major version. Does it
correct, will it work?

> > The task is to start VM on KVM from disk image fom VMWare. But,
> > What is the best to set up as --os-variant in virt-install?
> >
> > I will use --import with virt-install. Are these options using together
> > (--os-variant and --import)?
> >

> Yes they work fine.
>
> > What exactly do --os-variant, how to test it?
> >

> --os-variant is used to decide what configuration defaults we will set for
> the
> VM. The classic example is using virtio disk/net for OS that support it
> (basically all centos 6+ in this case).
>
> If you want to test it, use the --print-xml option to see how the defaults
> change with and without --os-variant
>
> - Cole
>
> - What is better option for os-variant, when "osinfo-query os" does not
contain some version of OS, for example "fedora23"? Does need use fedora22
or "auto" or..?
- How does parameter "auto" work? Will it work for for converted images
from VMware?
- What is the best way to determine OS from VMware? virt-inspector or
somehow else?
I did not find in documentation these information.
Thanks in advance!