[virt-tools-list] VMWare guestId to libvirt os-variant

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Tue Jan 26 16:00:49 UTC 2016

On 01/26/2016 05:42 AM, MK KM wrote:
> Cole, thank you for answers!
> Could you please tell about:

> <mailto:crobinso at redhat.com>>:
>
>     On 01/23/2016 10:36 AM, mkov wrote:
>     > Hello,
>     > Please, help me to figure out how to convert VMWare guestId to libvirt
>     > os-variant.
>     > For example,
>     >
>     > guestosid:
>     > centos64Guest
>     > centosGuest
>     >
>     > os-variant:
>     > centos6.0
>     > centos6.1
>     > centos6.2
>     > centos6.3
>     > centos6.4
>     > centos6.5
>     > centos7.0
>     >

>     There isn't any easy way to convert. We could track it in libosinfo but the
>     vmware bits are quite fine grained. I'm not sure what configuration bits
>     vmware will change depending on the guestosid, we would need to figure that
>     out first to know what it properly maps to for libosinfo/virt-install
>     defaults.
>

> - Can we use name of OS in os-variant without minor version, like just
> centos6, centos7, rhel7? Output of command "osinfo-query os" has only exact
> version of OS, but I met examples with OS just with major version. Does it
> correct, will it work?

I can't say for certain, because I don't know what configuration bits the
vmware OS value sets on their side. You will have to test it and see.

>     > The task is to start VM on KVM from disk image fom VMWare. But,
>     > What is the best to set up as --os-variant in virt-install?
>     >
>     > I will use --import with virt-install. Are these options using together
>     > (--os-variant and --import)?
>     >

>     Yes they work fine.
>
>     > What exactly do --os-variant, how to test it?
>     >

>     --os-variant is used to decide what configuration defaults we will set for the
>     VM. The classic example is using virtio disk/net for OS that support it
>     (basically all centos 6+ in this case).
>
>     If you want to test it, use the --print-xml option to see how the defaults
>     change with and without --os-variant
>
>     - Cole
>
> - What is better option for os-variant, when "osinfo-query os" does not
> contain some version of OS, for example "fedora23"? Does need use fedora22 or
> "auto" or..?

In that case, use whatever the latest fedora version is.

> - How does parameter "auto" work? Will it work for for converted images from
> VMware?

No it won't handle the vmware bit. 'auto' just means 'try to detect a
libosinfo ID from the passed install media'. It in fact doesn't do anything
for --import

> - What is the best way to determine OS from VMware? virt-inspector or somehow
> else?
> I did not find in documentation these information.
> Thanks in advance!

If you have a disk image and you need to do this generically, virt-inspector
is really your only option.

However if you are trying to do this generically and not as a one off, check
out virt-v2v, it might be what you are looking for