[virt-tools-list] VMWare guestId to libvirt os-variant

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Jan 27 17:45:27 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 11:00:49AM -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:
> In that case, use whatever the latest fedora version is.

I always thought it would be nice if virt-install substituted (eg)
fedora22 instead of fedora23 whenever it encounters a version that it
doesn't yet know about.

> If you have a disk image and you need to do this generically, virt-inspector
> is really your only option.

virt-inspector of course has its own naming scheme for operating
systems (invented before libosinfo came along).  So it goes :-(

> However if you are trying to do this generically and not as a one off, check
> out virt-v2v, it might be what you are looking for

Right - for converting a guest from VMware to KVM, virt-v2v can help,
both in installing virtio drivers into the guest [probably not needed
in this instance] and for the practical aspects of fetching the disk
data and copying it into KVM/oVirt/Glance.

More info here: http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v.1.html

Rich.