[virt-tools-list] Migration of VMms using virt-manager

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Tue Mar 8 14:00:02 UTC 2016

On 03/07/2016 11:53 PM, Renju M wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using virt-manager for managing virtual machines for my project. During
> migration of a VM using virt-manager, what exactly gets migrated? Is it the
> XML description of VM saying what all resources will be required at the
> destination for VM to run?

For a traditional migration, the VMs runtime memory contents are transfered,
so the VM continues to run uninterrupted on the new physical machine. By
default virt-manager will also move the XML (undefine on the source host,
define on the new host). The disk contents however are expected to be
accessible to both physical hosts, like over NFS or similar.