[virt-tools-list] virt-install console keys

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Mar 25 09:55:11 UTC 2016

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 09:04:56AM +0100, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 09:56:31PM +0100, P.A.M. van Dam (Pascal) wrote:
> > This is clearly coming from the ubuntu installer. As the console is invoked, the issue is to get the F4 keypress going to the console and not
> > to the window manager. One way to debug is, is to remove the --nographics and use the Graphical console where you can select the keypress for VT-4 from the drop down menu.
> >
> > If someone knows a way to get a keypress for F4 (VT-4) to the (serial)
> > text console, I'd like to know that too.
>
> If it's possible to interact with the VM using virsh, you should be able
> to send this through virsh send-key.
> If you are using SPICE for display, I'd expect F4 keypresses to go to
> the VM. At worse, virt-viewer/remote-viewer provide a menu entry to send
> Ctrl+Alt+F4 to the VM.

I don't believe this guest supports a graphical display - at least, I
haven't found out how to get that.

FWIW I was eventually able to get to the log file.  I didn't find the
right key to change VC (I did try many keys, but I didn't try "virsh
send-key" yet).  However the installer lets you cancel out and go to a
menu, and at the bottom of the menu is an option to get a shell.

The actual problem: wget is segfaulting.

Rich.