[virt-tools-list] argparse and Python 2.6

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Sat May 7 23:31:49 UTC 2016

On 05/06/2016 11:51 AM, Programmingkid wrote:

> On May 6, 2016, at 7:52 AM, Cole Robinson wrote:
>
>> On 05/05/2016 10:49 PM, Programmingkid wrote:
>>> I was trying to run virt-clone.py, when I encountered an error. This file uses argparse. This feature was not added to Python until 2.7. I'm using Python 2.6. The INSTALL document says python >= 2.6 is needed. The simplest way to fix this problem is to update the INSTALL document to say "python >= 2.7". Does this sound like the correct solution?
>>
>> Thanks for the report. Yes updating the docs is the best fix
>>
>> - Cole
>
> Thank you very much for helping. Would you know if there is a python script that tries to detect what requirements for Virt-Manager is missing? If there isn't one, I could make one myself.

Hmm, interesting idea but not really sure where it would best live. We can put
it in setup.py, but then my recommendation to people that want to use
virt-manager.git is just to run virt-manager right from the git repo without
invoking setup.py, which wouldn't get the benefit. Not sure if you have any
thoughts