[virt-tools-list] how to change machine type in virt-manager

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Mon Nov 28 10:16:38 UTC 2016

On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 02:12:14PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
>Hi,
>
>according to https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=845964
>and my own experiences, the combo of qemu, libvirt and virt-manager
>that is currently in Debian unstable causes guests to hang during
>reboot if the machine type is set to some older value like pc-0.14.
>pc-i440fx-2.7 works fine.

Well, I know you are looking for a workaround, but fixing the bug would
be the best thing to do in the long run.

>Doing the replace manually on one of my xmls showed that a simple
>replace is unproblematic, but is there a more "cleaner" way between
>editing the XML and totally recreating the machine entry with
>virt-manager?
>
>Working XML:
>  <os>
>    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-i440fx-2.7'>hvm</type>
>
>Non-working XML:
>  <os>
>    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-0.14'>hvm</type>
>
>Any hints will be appreciated.

I haven't found anything in virt-manager.  Ths would be perfect job for
virt-xml, but it looks like support for os type was not added there
either (or I just missed it).  It'd be nice to have that added from
someone.  It should be trivial, too.

Ugly workaround (so you don't have to do it manually) would be:

  virsh dumpxml $domain | \
    xmlstarlet ed -u '/domain/os/type/@machine' -v pc-i440fx-2.7 | \
    virsh define /dev/stdin