[virt-tools-list] RFC: use virDomainMigrate3 in virt-manager

Jim Fehlig jfehlig at suse.com
Wed Sep 7 04:52:58 UTC 2016

On 09/02/2016 04:38 PM, Cole Robinson wrote:
> On 08/31/2016 02:04 PM, Jim Fehlig wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I received a bug report (apologies for no link, but it's not publicly
>> accessible) about migration failing with virt-manager between Xen hosts. It's
>> rather embarrassing to admit, but I've never tried migration with virt-manager
>> and Xen :-/.
>>
>> The libvirt libxl driver for Xen only supports the extensible params version of
>> the migration V3 API. virt-manager currently uses the virDomainMigrate API,
>> which can accommodate migration protocol versions 1, 2 and 3, but doesn't
>> support the extensible params variant of the V3 protocol. The virDomainMigrate3
>> API does support the extensible params variant. Switching virt-manager to use
>> virDomainMigrate3 would allow virt-manager's migrate functionality to work with
>> hypervisors only supporting the newer migrate APIs.
>>
>> Any opinions on changing virt-manager to use virDomainMigrate3? Attached is an
>> initial attempt at doing so.
>>
> Sounds good to me... I didn't realize Migrate3 was an actual public entry
> point, I thought it was just an internal detail.
>
> Is that patch fine to push or is there more to it? I see the 'Subject' has
> 'PATCH 1/2' in it.

It, along with another patch, fix migration with virt-manager between two
libxl-based Xen hosts. Before sending the two as a series, it occurred to me
that they are unrelated and should be discussed/sent separately.. IMO, this
patch could be pushed as is. I've tested it with basic migration scenarios under
KVM. I've also tested under Xen + the mysterious 'PATCH 2/2', which I'll send
separately in a few minutes.

Regards,
Jim