[virt-tools-list] [virt-manager] How to have regular bridges in the network source list

Marc Haber mh+virt-tools-list at zugschlus.de
Tue Apr 18 08:43:36 UTC 2017

Hi Pavel,

thanks for your patience.

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 05:20:18PM +0200, Pavel Hrdina wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 11:04:09PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 09:14:02PM +0200, Pavel Hrdina wrote:
> > > On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 07:35:53PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> So the issue here is that libvirt on Debian uses netcf for network interface
> management and netcf probably doesn't support systemd-networkd and because
> of that you won't be able to see the bridge in libvirt and therefore in
> virt-manager.

If one cannot tell libvirt "there is br0, even if netcf doesn't tell you
about it, please offer it to your users as available", then yes, that's
the issue.

> The reason why you are able to see some interfaces is the libvirt can also
> provide a list of host devices via nodedev driver (virsh nodedev-list) and
> you can filter the list of host devices to list only network devices
> (virsh nodedev-list --cap net).

Thanks, that explains it:
| 1 [3/869]mh at gancho:~ $ virsh nodedev-list --cap net
| net_dummy0_06_6a_32_42_0d_41
| net_dummy1_a2_8b_d6_f2_7e_42
| net_eth0_6c_62_6d_d7_51_a3
| net_lo_00_00_00_00_00_00
| net_vnet0_fe_54_00_49_6d_5f
|
| [4/870]mh at gancho:~ $

The nodedev driver is part of libvirt? or part of the kernel? Or part of
what?

Can nodedev somehow be coaxed into publishing net_br0?

> The networking is a little bit complicated because each linux distribution
> uses a different configuration tools/files and virt-manager/libvirt/netcf
> simply tries to provide as much as possible.

And netcf in Debian is not very current :-(

Frankly, I don't think that it is possible to have a single library that
can parse all distribution-specific methods of network configuration, so
libvirt needs some manual method to tell it what network interfaces are
available to choose.

Greetings
Marc