[virt-tools-list] [virt-manager] How to have regular bridges in the network source list

Marc Haber mh+virt-tools-list at zugschlus.de
Thu Apr 20 08:47:05 UTC 2017

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 10:35:31AM -0400, Laine Stump wrote:
> On 04/18/2017 04:43 AM, Marc Haber wrote:
> > If one cannot tell libvirt "there is br0, even if netcf doesn't tell you
> > about it, please offer it to your users as available", then yes, that's
> > the issue.
>
> You are correct that the netcf in debian is old and limited. The initial
> port for debian was written by someone who isn't a regular debian user,
> with the hope that a debian developer would take over maintenance, but
> not much has happened.

I have seen that the package is up for adoption, and somebody has
offered to help (see http://bugs.debian.org/839082), and since I am a
Debian Developer, I have tried to get in touch with Lorenzo, who has
offered to help, and will see what I can do to give netcf in Debian the
love it needs.

> If your aim is to have something selectable from a list, then you can
> always just define a libvirt virtual network that references the
> existing system bridge:
>

>   <network>
>     <name>br0</name>
>     <forward mode='bridge'/>
>     <bridge name='br0'/>
>   </network>
>
> (put this in a file, then use "virsh net-define $filename && virsh
> net-start br0 && virsh net-autostart br0")
>
> Now a *network* named "br0" will show up in the selection list.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for! Implemented.

> But for your purposes, my first suggestion should suffice.

It does.

> >> The networking is a little bit complicated because each linux distribution
> >> uses a different configuration tools/files and virt-manager/libvirt/netcf
> >> simply tries to provide as much as possible.
> >
> > And netcf in Debian is not very current :-(
> >
> > Frankly, I don't think that it is possible to have a single library that
> > can parse all distribution-specific methods of network configuration,
>
> Even within one distro (and in some cases within one configuration
> method on one distro) there can be multiple ways to describe the same
> setup, which makes the whole thing very cumbersome...

Indeed. Again, thanks for helping.

Greetings
Marc