[virt-tools-list] [RFC] VM configuration templates

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Thu Aug 3 14:47:15 UTC 2017

On 08/03/2017 10:34 AM, Peter Crowther wrote:
> As a slightly different wish, but perhaps related, I'd love a tool that could
> consume several host configuration definitions and tell me the maximal guest
> configuration that could run on any of them. It's not simple to guess
> processor features and their support on heterogeneous hosts.
>
> Use case: as a developer, when creating a new virtual machine, I want to know
> that I will be able to migrate it between my laptop, our development host (a
> fat desktop), and our staging environment, so that my organisation spends as
> little effort (hence time and money) as possible rebuilding VMs due to
> location changes.
>
> Yes, I know we should be using a configuration management system. We do
> (puppet). But for some uses, the extra cost of encoding the configuration that
> way isn't cost-effective for the use we'll make of a VM.

There is virsh cpu-baseline. I think you grab the <cpu> definition from every
host 'virsh capabilities' output, stick it in a file, pass it to cpu-baseline,
and it will tell you the most featureful CPU that matches each host. But there
isn't any virt-manager support for it. Easier but possibly less featureful way
is to just use the oldest CPU model name from the pool of host's capabilities
output