[virt-tools-list] issues with graphics driver and qcow2

Nick Gilmour nickeforos at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 13:32:58 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I have just installed KVM, QEMU and Virtual Machine Manager and created a
VM with Linux Mint 18.2 on it. Everything looks good except 2 things:

1. The graphics driver is apparently not working properly. I have tried all
of them incl. QXL, VMVGA ( with Virtio I get error: virtio-gpu 3d
accelaration is not supported) but I always get this popup message "running
in software rendering mode". Besides that, I there is no option to rotate
the display. How can I fix this?

2. As far as I have read the difference between qcow2 and qcow storage
format is that qcow2 is a successor of qcow. When I choose qcow2 there is
no option for max size i.e. it has a fixed size. Is this correct? Is qcow2
for fixed size and qcow for dynamic size?

Regards
Nick