[virt-tools-list] issues with graphics driver and qcow2

Pavel Hrdina phrdina at redhat.com
Sat Aug 19 14:07:25 UTC 2017

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 03:32:58PM +0200, Nick Gilmour wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have just installed KVM, QEMU and Virtual Machine Manager and created a
> VM with Linux Mint 18.2 on it. Everything looks good except 2 things:

Hi, can you please share with us what OS are you using and versions of
virt-manager, libvirt, qemu and kernel packages?

> 1. The graphics driver is apparently not working properly. I have tried all
> of them incl. QXL, VMVGA ( with Virtio I get error: virtio-gpu 3d
> accelaration is not supported) but I always get this popup message "running
> in software rendering mode". Besides that, I there is no option to rotate
> the display. How can I fix this?

The preferred video devices are QXL or virtio, you should be able to
disable 3D acceleration for virtio-gpu.  If you follow this guide [1],
it should be possible to enable 3D acceleration.

> 2. As far as I have read the difference between qcow2 and qcow storage
> format is that qcow2 is a successor of qcow. When I choose qcow2 there is
> no option for max size i.e. it has a fixed size. Is this correct? Is qcow2
> for fixed size and qcow for dynamic size?

The qcow2 is in most cases the best choice.  The reason why there is
only one size option is because how qcow2 format works.  If you set for
example 50G, it will not allocate 50G on your disk.  The file itself
will be only few KB large.  It will grow automatically with the usage.

Pavel

[1] <https://www.kraxel.org/blog/tag/virtio-gpu/>