[virt-tools-list] UEFI/Q35: System BootOrder not found

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Fri Aug 25 22:23:52 UTC 2017

On 08/24/2017 07:34 AM, ovirt at fateknollogee.com wrote:
> I used virt-manager (in a previous Fedora 25 install) to create a Fedora 26
> virtual machine.
> This Fedora26 image was qcow2 and UEFI (firmware/chipset: EFI/Q35.
> The qcow2 images were stored on a separate disk (not on the same disk as the
> Fedora 25 host).
>
> I changed the host o/s from Fedora 25 to 26.
> I did not keep the XML files for the virtual machines.
>
> Using virt-manager, creating new vm & selecting "import existing disk image"
> does not work.
> When I boot the vm, I get an error "System BootOrder not found Initializing
> defaults".
> The virtual machine will not boot.
>
> Any ideas on how to "fix" the error?

Good question that I've wondered myself. I assume the failure to boot is
because the default generated NVRAM doesn't have whatever boot knowledge is
created at VM OS install time.

Laszlo, is there some way to regenerate NVRAM for a disk image?

Also, for my own curiosity, what data is stored in the NVRAM that's critical
for boot to 'just work' ? Is it just some pointer to the default boot device?

Thanks,
Cole