[virt-tools-list] Changing default vgamem='16384' for QXL device

Pavel Grunt pgrunt at redhat.com
Tue Jul 25 07:03:09 UTC 2017

Hello Eric,
On Mon, 2017-07-24 at 17:00 -0600, Eric Abreu wrote:
> Hello folks, I would like to change the RAM for the QXL Video device from
> default 16 MB to 64 MB or more whether is this possible. I do not have the
> option to change it, I tried to delete the device and add a new one and
> neither it let me change it. I also tried to edit the .xml under
> /etc/libvirt/qemu/. Does anybody know a way to change this value.

`virsh edit DOMAIN_NAME`

should work

> I want to improve the VM graphic performance watching youtube videos.

I don't think it improves the performance, you may try enabling streaming (in
case you use the SPICE display). Add <streaming mode='all'/> under the
<graphics> node (for more info see:
 https://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsGraphics )

In case your VM is linux and you don't need to access it remotely, you may try
enabling 3D acceleration:
 https://www.spice-space.org/spice-user-manual.html#_gl_acceleration_virgl

(It should be possible to do it through the latest virt-manager as well)

Pavel