[virt-tools-list] what is virt-viewer intended to be ?

Lentes, Bernd bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
Thu May 11 13:03:12 UTC 2017

Hi,

sorry for asking a simple question, but i'm confused. What is virt-viewer intended to be ?
To connect directly to virtual machine consoles, e.g. with VNC ?
Or connect to libvirtd which runs e.g. on a remote linux host ?
Or both ?

If i'm able to connect to libvirtd on a remote host, what can i do ? I think the functionality of virt-viewer is limited compared to virt-manager.
This page (https://libvirt.org/windows.html) gaves me the impression that i can connect with virt-viewer to a libvirtd on a remote host.

I tried to connect to a libvirtd on a linux host host using virt-viewer and the following in the adress bar: qemu+tcp://192.168.100.10 and qemu+tcp://192.168.100.1016509, but didn't succeed.
The port 16509 on the linux host is opened in the firewall and libvirtd is listening on it.

Is virt-viewer able to do this ?

Thanks.

Bernd

--
Bernd Lentes

Systemadministration
institute of developmental genetics
Gebäude 35.34 - Raum 208
HelmholtzZentrum München
bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
phone: +49 (0)89 3187 1241
fax: +49 (0)89 3187 2294

Erst wenn man sich auf etwas festlegt kann man Unrecht haben
Scott Adams

Helmholtz Zentrum Muenchen
Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstaedter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir'in Baerbel Brumme-Bothe
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Prof. Dr. Guenther Wess, Heinrich Bassler, Dr. Alfons Enhsen
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 6466
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671