[virt-tools-list] what is virt-viewer intended to be ?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu May 11 13:11:34 UTC 2017

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 03:03:12PM +0200, Lentes, Bernd wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry for asking a simple question, but i'm confused. What is virt-viewer
> intended to be ?
> To connect directly to virtual machine consoles, e.g. with VNC ?
> Or connect to libvirtd which runs e.g. on a remote linux host ?
> Or both ?

Both. the 'virt-viewer' binary connects to libvirtd (local or remote) and
looks up the VNC / SPICE console address for the guest, and then connects
to that.  The 'remote-viewer' binary connects directly to the VNC or SPICE
address you give it, avoiding libvirtd.

> If i'm able to connect to libvirtd on a remote host, what can i do ? I
> think the functionality of virt-viewer is limited compared to virt-manager.
> This page (https://libvirt.org/windows.html) gaves me the impression
> that i can connect with virt-viewer to a libvirtd on a remote host.

Yes, it will work

> I tried to connect to a libvirtd on a linux host host using virt-viewer
> and the following in the adress bar: qemu+tcp://192.168.100.10 and
L> qemu+tcp://192.168.100.1016509, but didn't succeed.
> The port 16509 on the linux host is opened in the firewall and libvirtd
> is listening on it.

The URIs are malformed - you're missing the path component. eg

  qemu+tcp://192.168.100.10/system

FYI, you can test using 'virsh -c URI' - if virsh succeeds, virt-viewer
would too.

Regards,
Daniel