[virt-tools-list] Status of virt-viewer headerbar conversion ?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Nov 17 16:28:38 UTC 2017

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 01:44:13PM -0200, Eduardo Lima (Etrunko) wrote:
> On 17/11/17 11:45, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > A while ago now we had patches going through review that switched over to
> > use Gtk HeaderBar concept. I was wondering what the status of that is, as
> > I think it would be a nice step forward for virt-viewer UI.
> >

> As far as I remember, the idea was to support both client and server
> side decorations. It would be required to do something like
> GtkAboutDialog does to detect if it should display the HeaderBar or not.
>
> My opinion is that it would require too much work to keep two different
> versions of the UI, and basically I did not went down that path, and
> kept that branch dormant for a while until the subject was raised once
> again.

So looking at the Sagar's patch the largest portion of the patch diff
is converting all the menubar signal handlers into GAction callbacks.
What's interesting is that this is actually completely tangential to
the GtkHeaderbar work. By which I mean you can use GAction callbacks
with menubars too.

If the code to convert over to GAction was done separately from the
conversion to use GtkHeaderbar, this would have been much more obvious.

Bearing this in mind, I think it is not too hard to preserve the use of
the menubar for when CSD isn't available. The only real burden is in
the .ui file which would keep the original menubar definition, but
conect action names instead, and something to choose which to show
at startup.

Regards,
Daniel