[virt-tools-list] Virt-Manager writing IPv6 configuration to xml

Marc Haber mh+virt-tools-list at zugschlus.de
Sat Oct 21 18:31:49 UTC 2017

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 10:50:12AM -0400, Laine Stump wrote:
> What you're showing here is the output of "virsh iface-dumpxml" of an
> active interface, and is thus the interface's current *status* (i.e. the
> functional equivalent of "ip address show"), not its configuration (the
> contents of /etc/network/interfaces in your case).
>
> If you run "virsh iface-dumpxml --inactive" you should get the
> configuration of the interface.

Ah. It's the same as obtaining the XML of a running domain. I should
have thought about that. The --inactive XML is

<interface type='vlan' name='enp1s0.181'>
  <start mode='onboot'/>
  <vlan tag='181'>
    <interface name='enp1s0'/>
  </vlan>
</interface>

and indeed, libvirt will happily read that back.

> One thing to note - the debian port of netcf was written by someone who
> is not (as far as I know) a frequent debian user, and was intended as a
> jumpstart for someone in the debian community to take over and maintain.
> This has never happened.

As a Debian Developer, I do apologize for Debian.

I know that netcf's Debian backend is a bit rough, which is one of the
reason that I usually configure my network interfaces on the host and
only give libvirt knowledge about which interfaces do exist, so that I
can choose the interfaces for a domain from the drop-down.

Does netcf have a systemd-networkd backend? Is this better maintained
than the /etc/network/interfaces backend? Can it be selected at
run-time? Where can I read up about that?

> If so, and if you'd like to send a patch
> for netcf to do so, you can send it to netcf-devel at lists.fedorahosted.org.

I apologize, but the state of netcf in Debian is so bad that I'd need to
do more than one patch, and I neither do have the programming knowledge
nor the time to do so.

Greetings
Marc