[virt-tools-list] Implementing external snapshots and hierarchical snapshot view in virt-manager

Povilas Kanapickas povilas at radix.lt
Fri Aug 24 00:06:43 UTC 2018

Hey,

First, let me thank you for the impressive piece of software that
virt-manager is.

I'd like to implement the external snapshots and hierarchical snapshot
view functionality. Are there any hard known blockers that would prevent
patches from being merged? Do the virt-manager maintainers think these
are worthwhile features to have?

The hierarchical snapshot view would make external snapshots more
convenient to users, because it will expose the dependency relationships
between different image files. I think it is important given how easy is
to accidentally damage dependent VMs by e.g. deleting wrong file. The
visibility of full hierarchy would also allow limited initial
implementation where few operations would be allowed to non-leaf images.
Keeping the current linear list of snapshots would make this kind of
compromise very weird from UX perspective.

Please tell me what you think and in case these are not bad ideas I will
come back with more detailed proposals and mockups.

Regards,
Povilas